Our objective is simple yet essential: At DetoxLA, we’ve made it our mission to provide those in need with top-notch care based on the latest neuroscience and holistic techniques.
Detoxification is arguably the most important part of an individual’s rehabilitation because it primes them for success in later-stage recovery. Without an effective detox program, persons suffering from addiction are unable to fully dedicate themselves to holistic, 12-step-based, or clinical substance abuse treatment.
As a luxury medical detox in Los Angeles, DetoxLA provides excellent medical alcohol and drug detoxification treatment via several high-quality detox programs.
Why Medical Detox?
After years of ongoing alcohol or drug abuse, the abrupt cessation of substance abuse will trigger withdrawal symptoms. These unpleasant physical and physiological effects are often the primary motivator for individuals to remain in a state of active addiction rather than embracing the prospect of sobriety.
Medical detox treatment aims to cleanse the body of alcohol or drugs, allowing the individual to transition into an inpatient program without experiencing withdrawal symptoms.
Do I Need Medical Detox?
There are many physical, psychological, and social signs that your recreational substance use has turned a corner into addiction. These may include:
- Increased tolerance to the substance or substances in question
- Withdrawal symptoms when you try to stop or decrease your substance use. These symptoms will depend on the type of addiction and how severe it is, but common symptoms include:
- Intense cravings for the substance
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Restlessness and general discomfort
- Mood-swings, including irritability and even violence
- Changes in appetite
- Changes in appearance (weight loss or gain, attention to hygiene, unhealthy appearance)
- Abandoning hobbies and reducing social activities
- Being unable to cease use of the substance or substances, even when it has resulted in adverse health effects
- Taking larger doses to combat social, employment, or family problems
- The majority of time is spent planning to use, acquiring, using, and recovering from the effects of substance use
- Relationship problems
- Problems at work
- Changing social scenes to be around other individuals who are using the substance
- Being secretive, keeping substance use hidden
- Denying there is a problem
- Failing to live up to responsibilities
If you or someone close to you is exhibiting any combination of these signs and symptoms of substance use, you may require professional help. Detox at a medical detox center like DetoxLA is an excellent place to start. Reach out to our clinical addiction specialists today at 818.671.4765 to learn more.
How Medical Detox Differs From Other Drug Rehab Programs
Comparatively speaking, detoxification is a relatively quick form of treatment. Whereas an actual alcohol and drug treatment program can take weeks or even months, a medical detox program generally takes about a week.
Another way the detox process is different from other forms of rehabilitative care is that there is little of the types of therapy we often associate with addiction treatment. Instead of cognitive-behavioral therapy and groups, individuals in a medical detox program are given plenty of time and space to relax so they can focus on restoring their physical health and wellness.
Preparing For Your Medical Detox Program
To get the most from a medical detox program, you’ll need to make some necessary preparations.
Since detox treatment is a relatively brief period of care, the level of preparation is less than with inpatient programs. However, being prepared for your medical detox treatment is still crucial for a successful outcome.
Some of the steps you should take when getting ready to detox include:
- Inform work or school of your absence
- Gather your ID, health insurance info, and other paperwork
- Refill any prescriptions you take regularly
- Pack clothing, toiletries, and other supplies
Learn More at DetoxLA Today
If you or someone close to you is battling addiction, it may feel that you have nowhere to turn. This is in large part why a majority of individuals battling drug and alcohol addiction do not end up getting the help they need. A professional medical detox program like the one at DetoxLA is an excellent place to start. To learn more, reach out to our clinical staff today at 818.671.4765.